Breeding Aulonocara Hueseri
The Midnight Peacock
By Randy Rhoades
If you do not have luck spawning mouthbrooding fish, there are some easy fish to do, like the Aulonocara peacocks from Lake Malawi in Africa. I have had good results by using this method for 11 years, and I have had others do it and it works. Here is how I do it.
1. First, buy a bunch of babies or adults, about 10 or more of the same kind. I bought adult Hueseri Midnight Peacocks 4 inches to 5 inches long. The color was dark blue all over except for the stomach to the tail, which was yellow.
2. Put them in a tank big enough to let the babies to grow if you buy them small, or for the adults to have room to spawn. I put my fish in a 75-gallon tank with gravel and two limestone holey rocks side by side and a slat across each one for a spawning site. Make sure water temperature is between 75 to 80 degrees.
3. For adult fish I do not clean my tank for about one month or so. After one month or so, I clean the tank only one time and they will spawn within two days, to a week sometimes, after that cleaning. You will know if they are spawning when the male starts shimmering at the female and she lays eggs as the pair goes in circles. The female picks up the eggs as she goes around for about a minute; then the male chases the other fish away from spawn site. They do this for about half an hour, until they are done.
4. After they have spawned, let the female hold the eggs for 7 to 10 days; then strip the female by putting some water from the tank she came out of into a plastic container by herself. Holding her so you can get to her mouth, take a toothpick, open her mouth with the toothpick, and dunk her in the water a few times. The babies will come out. Then put her back in tank she came out of.
5. Put babies in a hatchery tank if they are not swimmers, with slow bubbling air, so they won’t fungus. If they are free-swimming, put them in the tank and feed them flake food.
This is how I got my Hueseri midnight peacocks to spawn It does not work for everybody, but it works for me, and it works for some folks I told about how I did it.